Tuesday, October 19, 2004

On the deployment of internet technology and infrastructure:
I'm not arguing that we haven't done anything significant. We are in the process of deploying another package of technology, which is just as significant as the railroads, the telephone, the telegraph, electricity, and so on - all of which were terribly significant. I just don't think it alters the fundamentals of supply and demand, the fundamentals that determine pricing, that determine economic growth. I don't like to mystify what we are doing.
- Andy Grove, Chairman of Intel, in Wired

I reckon it's pretty much useless sharing opinions about anything until you've done something with them that's useful and/or admirable. Then people want to know what it is that makes you tick - they imagine that you have wisdom.

This is dawning on me more and more. I always thought that ideas themselves were what drove people, but that's not really true. Ideas aren't the bedrock of what makes people commit to patterns of action or attitudes. And in that sense, blogging is such a waste of time - as Tim is wont to point out. Sometimes I think I ought to shut up, on general principle, until I'm at least 40.