Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Some time ago I bought a book entitled I Suffer Not a Woman: Rethinking 1 Timothy 2:11-15 in light of ancient evidence. The book had two points in its favour:

(1) It advocated the (non-conservative) position that I wish, in my heart of hearts, was the biblical one,
(2) I could detect no playing-fast-and-loose with the text, which is the usual method of (liberal) argumentation for non-conservative positions. Which method I do not approve of in the least.

The introduction, however, has been unimpressive. It's basically an overview of some of the conservative positions held on the matter, all dismissed (or seriously questioned) with rejoining arguments. Unfortunately, at nearly every point I wanted to say "but hang on, that's not quite fair...". Still, such is the nature of an introductory overview. And even if the joint authors' characterisation of other positions is completely and utterly wrong, the real test will be how they positively establish their own position from the biblical text. I look forward to that.

Addendum: the section in question reads (in the NIV): A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing--if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

It may be worth noting (or those not already familiar with the issue) that the argument of the book is precisely that these words should not be read as they are translated and as we would give them their usual sense.