Wednesday, August 18, 2004

In praise of peaceful mothering

I have to say that I am full of admiration for David and Angela's situation.

Ange wanted a home birth, surrounded by the familiar and the comforting. If you know her, I will let her tell you about the labour and birth. When she told me, it was very obvious that her choice had been the right one. She is pefectly relaxed, Lucy is very contented, and David is now home for 2 weeks with mother and daughter. It seems a great blessing to have brought Lucy into the world in such a happy, welcoming way.

I don't really have the words to express how I feel (which is why I've delayed writing this), but if anybody - including my wife - should ask me for thoughts regarding pregnancy and birth, I will have no hesitation in saying, "go talk to Angela".